Thursday, July 30, 2009

Final Review of the Class

I truly enjoyed learning lots of interesting information about gothic literature. I knew nothing about gothic literature when I entered the course and now I feel that I have learned and am knowledgeable about many aspects on the topic. I feel like now when I read any type of gothic fiction I will now be able to recognize and be much more interested in the symbolism and the aspects of the gothic elements in the story, not just in the plot. I really liked learning about the doppelganger in "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", "Fight Club", and many more of the novellas where the doppelganger was less evident but could be interpreted. I also liked learning about a lot of the female gothic. It was interesting to learn about the perspective of females at different time periods. It was really cool to be able to see the connection between the female gothic and a coming of age or bildungsroman. Each one of the stories we read were really good, and I usually never wanted to quit reading or put down the book. Some of the stories were hard to read and understand at first, but once things were explained it was more clear. I really enjoyed the class and feel that I benefitted from it

No comments:

Post a Comment